Northern arizona university
Master of administration focused on professional writing and editing
self-publishing since 2007
Since 2012 as Durare Publishing
editing and helping others self-publish since 2013
My Published work
* Multiple novels, a book of screenplays, and a book on self-publishing for teachers
* Short stories published in The Maverick, Show Low, AZ and "Maria Angelica's Baby" included in Best Short Stories from Saturday Evening Post's Great American Fiction Contest 2016
* General non-fiction published in GMOAZ, Colorado Libraries, and Christian Science Monitor
* Professional articles on writing and self-publishing:
"Research: Quality, Depth, and Credit" 4/5/2019 Funds for Writers
"Publishing on Demand" July/August 2015 Literacy Today
* Screenwriter on film shown on Lifetime and European venues: Running Away
* Miscellaneous Crew/Creative Consultant for early script work: Eye of the Dolphin
* Screenplay Finalist: Sacramento International Film Festival: Michael Dolan McCarthy
* Quarter-Finalist in Amazon Breakout Novel Awards: Michael Dolan McCarthy
* Honorable Mention Writer's Digest International Self-Publishing Book Awards: Running Away
* Honorable Mention Writer's Digest Short Story Writing Competition: "Bad Mommy!"
* Book I designed and edited: Runner Up in San Francisco Book Festival Photography/Art category
(Suzanne Blaney's Impressionism: Inspiration & Evolution)
Featured author or panelist
* Gold Country Writers Six-Author Event, Face in a Book, El Dorado Hills, CA
* Women's National Book Association author even at the Book Passage, Corte Madera, CA
* Art Space, Show Low TV, Show Low, AZ
* Connect at the Library, Show Low TV, Show Low, AZ
Presented and/or gave workshops on self-publishing
* National Council of Teachers of English Convention, Washington, DC
* Sierra Community College, Roseville, CA
* Northland Pioneer College, Show Low, AZ
* White Mountain Arts Alliance, Show Low, AZ
* Women Who Write, Louisville, KY
* Hidden Treasures Art Show, Citrus Heights, CA
* Oakland Book Festival, Oakland, CA
* Gold Country Fair, Auburn, CA
* Book Expo America, NYC, NY
* American Library Association Annual Conference, Las Vegas, NV
Participant at sixteen other conferences/pitchfests
Master of Administration, Professional Writing and Editing
Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff, AZ
MS in Education, Learning and Behavior Disorders
Buffalo State College, Buffalo, NY
BA Psychology, Sonoma State University
Rohnert Park, CA
2005-current Writer & Editor
K-12 Special Education and Reading
Workshop Instructor Adults
Excellent professional writing and editing skills. Examples: published articles, stories, and books; legal reports; educational assessments and individualized education plans; website design and maintenance; and grant proposals.
Training and experience in adaptation of material for specific audiences. Examples: emphasis on stakeholders in professional writing courses; focus on audience for fiction; and experience adapting course materials for special education students with various needs at various academic levels.
Experience in presentation of material in a required format. Examples: genre standards for books; academic citations per appropriate style guides; legal reports; individualized education plans; and grant proposals.
Presentation skills highly developed through years of teaching and presenting workshops.
Co-ordination of stakeholders practiced as a special education teacher and grant writer.
Experienced in collaboration with other professionals as a caseworker, teacher, writer, editor, and graduate student.
Developed, implemented, and managed specialized education programs including a credit-recovery program for special education high school students and a reading program for junior high school.
Developed, conducted, and documented research on the impact of music on student behavior.
Demonstrated initiative and innovation in developing those programs as well as pursuing independent publishing.
Time management and independent prioritization of tasks practiced in all employment and self-employment.
Deadlines routinely met.
Research and Analysis
Research skills honed through two master’s degrees, employment, and writing activities. The ability to discover the means to do things was essential as a teacher and useful in other occupations as well.
Interviewing skills include establishing rapport with hostile subjects, use of open-ended questioning, verification of understanding, evaluation and analysis of information obtained.
Evaluation and analysis experience also includes assessing student academic skills and behavioral issues (through informal and formal observation, interviews, and testing) and assessing child safety and family need for services (through interviews and observation of immediate situation, behavior, and environment).
Innovation and creativity were then used to develop alternative solutions.
As part of a team, developed, conducted, and documented research on the impact of music on student behavior.
Address, phone number and full work history available on serious inquiry.
Education: Course listing displays breadth of studies.